Posted to alt.solar.thermal,alt.home.repair,alt.architecture.alternative
Anthony Matonak Anthony Matonak is offline

Default Good news about windows

Mulan wrote:
Can you explan what the end goal is for the arrays and window etc. I
was lost.

Nick was saying that windows are not as good at keeping heat out/in
a structure as walls. This is not in doubt. Even double pane windows
are only typically rated in the R3 to R6 range while walls typically
start around R16 and go up from there.

Nick further proposes that people could use video cameras outside
and TV screens inside to take the place of windows. This would let
them look outside without an actual, real, window.

I then proceeded to put some numbers to this video-window proposal
to show that it's not economical at this time.

The following is an example of what we are talking about.
http://hoagy.org/virtualwindow/

Anthony