Allan Adler

Default frame assembly of Gingery lathe

I've finished chapter VI of Gingery's book, The Metal Lathe. So far in the
book, I have been able to visualize details of the construction and to answer
most of my own questions about it. I do have a few questions about Ch.VI,
though, where I'm less certain.

(1) The frame assembly for the counter shaft can (p.70) be put together by
welding the parts. That sounds to me like a rigid assembly. On the other
hand, rivets are recommended as an alternative to welding. I don't know
anything about rivets or about the tools one would use with them in the
frame assembly. It does sound, however, as though they are also intended
for rigid construction. That seems to contradict the fact that some parts
of the frame assembly are supposed to be able to move when one pulls the
release handle. Apart from the bolts that are used to mount the motor,
I only noticed mention of rivets, so I'm unclear about how the parts
that are supposed to move are attached. And since I'm unclear about that,
I'm also confused about which parts are really supposed to move and which
are not.

(2) Gingery's design is for NEMA 48 frame (whatever that means). He emphasizes
that one will have to modify the design for other fractional horsepower
motors. Apparently, he is assuming that the reader is somewhat literate
about motors and about the frames one builds for working with them.
What is the book I need to read to get the necessary background in
fractional horsepower (and why only those?) motors and the frames they
need?

On to the headstock!

Ignorantly,
Allan Adler

* *
* Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT Artificial *
* Intelligence Lab. My actions and comments do not reflect *
* in any way on MIT. Moreover, I am nowhere near the Boston *
* metropolitan area. *
* *