Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ken Moon Ken  Moon is offline

Default making maple plywood from veneer, using plastic resin glue...blanks to turn step pulleys

"Canchippy" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:

Why not turn a solid hardwood step pulley.

Well I would be worried about it going out of round with changes in
humidity. Even the die cast white metal ones tend to distort with heat
and usage. I solved a lot of noise/vibration problems by replacing die
cast with machined cast iron pulleys on all of my machinery.
Unfortunately the headstock pulley on my old Delta is a unique 1 off so
it will have to be a custom made replacement.
But I'm curious, is your shop climate controlled?

Round up some mesquite to turn your pulley from. It's denser than oak and
dimensional stability is the best of any hardwood I know of (less than 1%,
green to dry in both directions. I would trust a pulley made from mesquite
before a similar size in cast aluminum. YMMV

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX