Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Extend doorbell to back?

Not important. You have a wired system. If it "ding-dongs", its 16 volts, if
it rings like an old phone, it's 6-12 volts. If you can and want to run a
two wire thermostat cable from that unit to another location, you can
install a similar unit, provided the existing transformer is strong enough
to handle both units

Ungeschickte wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 15:56:17 -0400, mm
wrote:

On 15 Jul 2006 11:39:29 -0700, wrote:

Ungeschickt wrote:
I often do not hear the doorbell when in the back of the house or in
the garden.

How complicated would it be to "extend" the doorbell to those areas?
(I am not very handy).

Or install a different doorbell that does ring in back as well?

Any suggestions, references, etc. welcomed.

--

Ungeschickt

extending the doorbell is a matter of running some extra , fairly light
wire to the new location.

An easier alternative is one of the wireless doorbell kits , the bell
plugs into any outlet , or can be battery operated. Simply move it to
wherever you want, but you have to remember to move it .

I wish the OP had said what kind of doorbell he has now. Is it
mounted to the front door? Is it electric? Does it have a button, a
separate bell and a tranformer in the basement? What?

Oops - right. A little short on detail g

Mounted to stucco wall beside front door.

Electric.

Has button.

Connected to *something* mounted inside the house, on the wall over
the kitchen door. That's where the ring sounds, so bell must be in
there. Dunno where transformer might be. How big would it be?

Have my hand in cast right now, so can't pop the top off the
"something". It is a white metal box, about 5-6" long and 3" wide.
Has been there forever.

I could post a picture...are photos allowed?

Does it sound like I could open that box eventually and run a bell
wire out to the back?

Nothing in basement. No basement. Would there be any reason for the
original installation, before my time, to run anything under the
house?

Thanks for all input.

--

Ungeschickte