Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default Best Way to Add Dirt So Rainwater Drains Away From House

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 17:32:27 GMT, "Mike" wrote:

My front yard slopes towards the house. I went to a a nursery to buy dirt
to build up the yard so
it slopes away from the house. The nursery guy told me to go to a
landscaping company because
there are different kinds of dirt - some hold water others don't - to find
out which kind of dirt I need. Do I need dirt that holds or or repells
water?

Thanks,

Mike

Clay or clay soil is best. You want something that will not allow
water to seep through nor hold water. It should be much cheaper than
dirt. If you want to save some money try to avoid nurseries--they are
usually 2 or 3 X the cost of getting your "fill dirt" from somewhere
else. Check contractors, farmers, Yellow Pages, etc. Expect to pay
at least $50 just for the delivery. Around here (E.TN), clay soil can
be had for free.