George E. Cawthon

Default Bullets falling back to earth

Chris Oates wrote:

"Dean" wrote in message
This is sort of metalwork - it involves lead. I was watching the Iraqies
celebrating the capture of Saddam by firing their rifles and guns into the
air. How dangerous are the bullets coming down ? I know they fall back

much
slower than they leave the gun barrel, but they must still be doing a fair
clip. They said 4 people so far have been killed by this but I guess in

Iraq
its hard to know which bullets came from where. As a few of you know about
guns I thought I'd ask here.

Yes, same velocity they went up with
many cases on manslaughter have resulted
damage can be nasty as the bullet may have
aquired a spin or not be in line with the fall

Anybody with a brain know that bullets don't fall back with
the same velocity that they initially left the gun barrel.
And anybody who has read data on such measurements has a
good idea of the maximum velocity that they achieve on the
downward fall. Read a book and find out what it is! Yes,
people have been killed, but it is highly unlikely for a
number of reasons, one being that you would have to be hit
in the head and probably in the temple, in one of the eyes,
or in the ear (lying flat), or in the very center of the top
of the head. And if a bullet did hit in one of these vital
spots, there is no guarantee that it would result in death.