Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default removing old carpet padding stuck on wood floor

I would try a heat gun. As an experiment, you might try a hair
dryer. A heat gun puts out more heat and is made to do the work
you are considering. It will still require a putty knife and
manual scraping. If it an old adhesive, it should respond well.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"patscrafts" wrote in message
news:2d1064592d22ac36e15d29dd004d929b@homerepairli ve.com...
Hi
My home was built in th 1920's with original hardwood floors
thruout. But
was completely carpeted when I moved in. As I had started to
remove some
carpet sections in dining room and living room, I found the old
padding
has hardened to the wood floor. I tried scraping with putty
knife, and
soapy water, which only helps a little. THis padding is REALLY
crystalized
to the floor, and scraping takes ALOT of elbow grease and time.
It took 2
of us 3 full days to finish the small hallway section.
I was told an enzyme cleaner will help, and I tried that with
the hallway,
but again, that is only a small help. We still have the rest of
the 2
rooms to go! It seems the high traffic areas have the worst
hardened
padding.
Does anyone know of any type of product I can get to make this
job easier??
or any other way???
Or would be really expensive to get a professional to do the
job??
PLEASE HELP!!!!

thank you, Pat