Posted to alt.building.landscape,alt.home.repair
[email protected] tbasc@bellsouth.net is offline

Default Best Way to Add Dirt So Rainwater Drains Away From House

Mike wrote:
My front yard slopes towards the house. I went to a a nursery to buy dirt
to build up the yard so
it slopes away from the house. The nursery guy told me to go to a
landscaping company because
there are different kinds of dirt - some hold water others don't - to find
out which kind of dirt I need. Do I need dirt that holds or or repells
water?

Thanks,

Mike

First, check the vertical distance from ground to wood or top of slab.
It's best to check at several poinst if possible.
Top of grade should be six or eight inches below the top of slab or top
of masonry supporting wood sill plate.

Starting at the desired top of grade, look to see if you can add fill
dirt or need to excavate to get the slope you want.

Do you have water in your crawl space or basement?
The group could use that info to give suggestions.
TB