Posted to alt.home.repair
krw krw is offline

Default Very OT - Computers

In article , says...
Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article , Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 23:32:39 -0700, "Jim McLaughlin"
jim.mclaughlin wrote:

Lots of folks have no use for XP.

I started avoiding XP before if became available, when I heard
about the "product activation" unfeature which gives MS ultimate
control over your OS. I never wanted to get dependant on such a
thing.

FWIW, this "feature" was one of the main reasons I finally got around
to switching to an Apple. The tentacles of Redmond were just too
deeply imbedded in my machine to make me happy.

My switch was to Linux (Mandrake, now Mandriva). Not perfect, but
what is?

Any tech support I've needed has been solved with a simple Usenet
message. Generally speaking, post it at bedtime and read multiple

My desktop[*] has been running SuSE for a couple of years (SuSE was
the first with good AMD64 support), but with 10.0 I've lost
DualHead support. It seems SuSE and Matrox are in finger-pointing
mode.

Bottom line is my computers have never been so rock solid stable. And I
don't spend time or money on things like anti-virus applications.

True, though don't be surprised if Linux starts getting infested
with malware.
[*] My laptop is XP.

--
Keith