Fdmorrison

Default Can something be TOO flat ?

"Ed Huntress"

wrt Moore jig borer scraping

Oh, right, I was thinking of their gages and so on. They [the jig borer ways]

were pointed to a
high bearing percentage -- 'looked like speckling on a trout.

My own "final" scraping looks more like spackling on a trough.
FM
"[S]ome machine builders still cling to the practice of handscraping the
ways--an admission that the machine work is not quite so accurate as it should
be. In these days of precision machine tools, it is indeed surprising to find
tool engineers who believe that a man with a scraper can produce a surface more
nearly flat than can be planed with a single-point tool on a modern planer [let
alone, grinding machine]."
Fred Colvin, 1947