Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Frugal lighting

"Don K" wrote in message
. ..
wrote in message
This morning I put two $20 Kill-a-Watt meters on two power strips with
a 100 W bulb screwed into one plug socket 80 cm from a "100 W equivalent"
23 W 10,000-hour Commercial Electric compact fluorescent with a 9-year
guarantee ($8.97 for 4 from Home Depot) and compared the outputs with
a Bunsen grease-spot photometer (a drop of oil on a piece of white paper
:-)

Yeah, I've got some of those 100W equivalent, $8.97 bulbs, with a 9-year
guarantee too.

I don't need a grease-spot photometer to tell me they don't put out as
much light as a 100W bulb. My own eyes can tell me that. It takes a
150W equivalent to be a 100W equivalent, IMO.

I think that too.

The one in the hallway went out after about a year and a half to two
years. I don't know where my receipt is, so I guess I'm out a few bucks.

These CFL's sure are frugal. Just make sure you send in any rebates
and keep track of your receipts and the packing material for the
next 9 years.

We pencil the installed date and the supplier on the item itself. We've only
twice had to return them and they've been replaced with no receipt and no
question.

Customer goodwill is important to stores. The items are cheap and it's
recognised that some will fail.

Mary