Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ross Herbert Ross Herbert is offline

Default Do failing LEDs flicker?

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 17:13:15 -0400, "Fred Mann"
wrote:

Hello,
I have a piece of audio gear which has an illuminated power switch. The LED
inside flickers. Should I replace the LED, or is something else at play
here? I was under the impression (for no good reason) that LEDs are like
light bulbs - either they work or they don't -- no flickering.
Thanks!!
Fred

Fred, as it happens I noticed this same symptom on my pre-amp today. I
was playing a CD and noticed the green power-on LED go off and then
flicker dimly before coming on again. Since I built the pre-amp myself
about 15 years back I am confident the soldering is ok and the
resistors were all 1% Beyschlag metal film so I doubt it is due to
this component. My guess, from the dim background flickering and then
normal brightness, is that the LED is failing. I will let you know
more when I have had a good look. And yes, I have seen LED's exhibit
this symptom before.