Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair
Don K Don K is offline

Default Frugal lighting

wrote in message ...
This morning I put two $20 Kill-a-Watt meters on two power strips with
a 100 W bulb screwed into one plug socket 80 cm from a "100 W equivalent"
23 W 10,000-hour Commercial Electric compact fluorescent with a 9-year
guarantee ($8.97 for 4 from Home Depot) and compared the outputs with
a Bunsen grease-spot photometer (a drop of oil on a piece of white paper :-)

Yeah, I've got some of those 100W equivalent, $8.97 bulbs, with a 9-year
guarantee too.

I don't need a grease-spot photometer to tell me they don't put out as
much light as a 100W bulb. My own eyes can tell me that. It takes a
150W equivalent to be a 100W equivalent, IMO.

The one in the hallway went out after about a year and a half to two
years. I don't know where my receipt is, so I guess I'm out a few bucks.

These CFL's sure are frugal. Just make sure you send in any rebates
and keep track of your receipts and the packing material for the
next 9 years.

Don