Posted to alt.home.repair
MDT at Paragon Home Inspections, LLC MDT at Paragon Home Inspections, LLC is offline

Default Takagi direct vent install

I have these installed in several buildings as sidewall vent units.

1) If your's is a freezing climate, make sure you install a TK-TV03
back draft preventer.

2) If you want output hotter than 122F, you will need to install an
external TK-RE02 controller.

3) You will need a TK-BK01 wall mount kit.

4) Takagi specs a TK-TV05 wall-mount terminator kit. It's a big unit,
make sure that you allow a full 16" stud bay for its installation, and
plan the heater location with this in mind. It's helpful to have the
fill kit on site so plumbers and electricians can visualize what's
involved.

5) Don't forget that the unit will need 120V power.

6) You will need 2x wall SS vent pipe and fittings (check with Takagi,
at the time I installed they had approved two manufactures), and HT
sealant. It's simplest if you order the pipe, fittings and TV-03 (if
used) from the same source, so everything fits.

7) You will need .75" gas pipe (or equivalent CSST) ALL THE WAY to the
heater - you are putting in a 190,000 BTU appliance - probably, larger
than your gas furnace or boiler - and you may need to upsize piping or
even, on low pressure NG systems, an unsized meter!

8) You will need a TPRV rated for 200K BTU.

On later installs I used these isolation valves, they make for a
cleaner install, you can order either .75" sweat or IPS:

http://www.plumbingstore.com/images/...lves-50443.jpg

Michael Thomas
Paragon Home Inspection, LLC
Chicago, IL