Posted to rec.woodworking
RickS RickS is offline

Default Cherry sapwood and heartwood

"Jerry" wrote...
Others may respond on this but do they really cut veneer out of
sapwood? I would suspect that the difference in tone is due to light
exposure or age or both. In time, the lighter sheets should also
darken.

It is not just lighter it is a difference color. The cream colored veneer
will not darken to the same tone as the reddish veneers. No.... there is a
definate difference between the veneers.... one set is creamish, the other
reddish... they will never match up (unless stain is entered into the
equation).

For cherry, I always cut off the sap wood....

Hmmm. This is what I wondered too. But having never worked with cherry
before (or many woods for that matter) I was unsure if mixing
sapwood/heartwood is a reasonable idea in cabinetry.

...which is why I hand select my
pieces to assure I have heartwood.

Perhaps next time I will do this. But with little experience, I have not
been certain how much of cherry boards should be heartwood, and/or how much
sapwood in the boards is reasonable.