Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon Robert Gammon is offline

Default Very OT - Computers (A BIG Thanks Everyone)

Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 08:55:39 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

"Corinne" wrote in message

The reason I am planning to get a new computer is that mine is 8 years
old, works great, and I love it, but I am still running Windows 98.
Because Windows 98 is so old, Microsoft is no longer offering free
updates, which I am told, subjects me to viruses even though I have
Norton Anti-Virus.

Exposure to viruses requires two things simultaneously.
1 = circulation of a virus that targets your Operating System.
There are nowadays fewer viruses than there used to be, and
all the new ones target WinXP. Win98 is so old that it does
not attract the attention of new virus makers.
2 = some action by you that opens the door to a virus
(e.g. clicking on a hot button in an email.

or even READING the email, if you use a program that supports HTML
(not safe HTML) like OE

) Common sense
alone prevents this happening. Good AV software and a
hardware firewall (cable router)

Also, avoid wireless networking if possible. It is less secure (and
there's plenty of other disadvantages of wireless).

Note that I can connect to no less than 3 wireless networks in my
neighborhood and go ANYWHERE ON INTERNET THAT I WANT.

Wireless is convenient but it allows strangers, maybe even DANGEROUS
folks access to your computers.

offer additional tiers of
protection for those who doubt common sense is enough.

"Common sense" can help a lot here, but it isn't that common.

Taken together, these points suggest you should stay
with Win98 until you need hardware or software that
requires a different OS.