Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Very OT - Computers (A BIG Thanks Everyone)

stevie wrote:

just be aware that Dell is a pretty good machine, but their customer service
has gone downhill. didn't used to be that way.
"lee houston" wrote in message
om...

"Corinne" wrote in message

The reason I am planning to get a new computer is that mine is 8 years
old, works great, and I love it, but I am still running Windows 98.
Because Windows 98 is so old, Microsoft is no longer offering free
updates, which I am told, subjects me to viruses even though I have Norton
Anti-Virus.

Corinne, if it ain't broke dont fix it. ;-). If you're running 98 and
it's
stable and your pc is fast enough for you, why spend anything? xp is
much more a target for virus writers than 98. The minimum memory
for xp is 128 K, 256 recommended.

what speed is your machine? a 233 mhz processor and 128K runs
xp fine if your determined to go to xp.

lee

Hi,
Unless OS is reasonably kept up with changes, one day all of a sudden
you'll be in big trouble when hell borke loose. I am using Linux but on
the side I updated W2K to XPP SP2 on everyting on my home network.
(a feew notebooks, desktops). If you run critical job on your PC, it's
good idea running two hard drives in Raid 1 format for quick recovery
when system gets into trouble. And always back up routinely.