Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Very OT - Computers (A BIG Thanks Everyone)

"Corinne" wrote in message

The reason I am planning to get a new computer is that mine is 8 years
old, works great, and I love it, but I am still running Windows 98.
Because Windows 98 is so old, Microsoft is no longer offering free
updates, which I am told, subjects me to viruses even though I have Norton
Anti-Virus.

I don't want to send anyone a virus, thus, my search for a new computer.

I was told that my computer is not capable of adding Windows XP Home
Edition to it.

You can continue to use your old computer without fear as long as you have
anti-virus software on it. Sure, it is old, but if it does everything you
need, no pressing need to upgrade.

OTOH, a new computer will have new bells and whistles and do a lot of things
better. If you are so inclined, go ahead and enjoy a new one. Your money,
your choice.

Don't toss the old one, but donate it to someone that has none, or to an
organization that can use it. Don't bother with the school as they usually
have the latest equipment and won't accept an older one. They just raise
taxes when they want more.