Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Range Outlet Wiring

Jeff C wrote:
wrote:
On 13 Jul 2006 15:01:28 -0700, "Jeff C"
wrote:

I have #6-3 Alum Wiring that was wired DIRECTLY to an 30 year old
JennAir Downdraft Range, which I'm now replacing. The circuit is on two
ganged 50a breakers. I'm going to put in a 3 prong outlet into the
wall. The wire has 2 black wires, one with a red stripe, the other
black wire with no stripe, and what looks like a bare ground wire. The
directions on the outlet say to wire the "hot wires" to the two angled
connections and the neutral to the "straight" connection. When I
started this I noticed the "straight" connection has the word "neutral"
embedded on the back of the connector.

Your black wire and black/red wire are hot. You connect them to the
terminals labeled X and Y (angled) on the NEMA 10-50 outlet. The other
(bare) wire is a grounded neutral wire. It connects to the W terminal.

Then you need a 3-wire cord set for the stove, and you need to follow
the directions that came with the stove regarding the grounding strap
for 3-wire installations. RTFM. ;-)

I'm assuming that the breaker for this is in your main breaker panel
(not a subpanel) and that you do not live in a mobile home. If it is in
a subpanel (or mobile home), then that bare wire is just a ground wire
and cannot be safely used as a neutral -- you'll have to run a new
4-wire cable if your stove needs a neutral. (It's possible that the
stove doesn't require a neutral; the manual should tell you this.)

To save yourself a lot of trouble a few years later, give the ends of
the wires a good scrubbing with stainless steel toothbrush and apply
that AL wire antioxidant black goop. I don't remember the brand name,
but the guys in the electrical dept at any hardware store will know what
it is.

Best regards,
Bob