Posted to alt.home.repair
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Very OT - Computers

Corinne wrote:

The ONLY reason I want to replace it is that my machine is eight years
old, but in excellent working condition.

But, I am still using Windows 98 SE and Microsoft is no longer offering
free updates, and I am told this opens me up to viruses, and I certainly
don't want to pass it onto others.

I was told that my machine will not support Windows XP Home Edition.

Can you tell me what I need in a computer in order to support Windows XP?

Thanks for your help.

The official Microsoft statement on this is at
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/sysreqs.mspx. Any
machine for sale new in a store today exceeds these by a wide margin.

The statement on requirements for Windows Vista is at
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/capable.mspx. This is not
a terribly high standard for the most part--again most machines you find
for sale new in a store right now meet it, but for best performance it
should be exceeded considerably--when Microsoft says "minimum" they mean
it. Any machine that meets that standard though should run Windows XP
exceedingly well.

Corinne
J. Clarke wrote:

Corinne wrote:

Please don't blast me for asking this question here. I have posted here
before and received excellent advice, so I am back.

I am in the market for a new computer. I am interested in Dell. When
searching the Dell sites, I see lots of complaints about service, etc.

Do any of you use a Dell computer, and can anyone recommend a model
for someone who uses the computer basically for email, newsgroups,
searching the web, playing solitaire, and making greeting cards?

I am totally lost, and as you can see, I am not too computer savvy.
I just know the basics, and my computer man, in this small town,
just retired due to ill health.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

First question--what do you want to do with it that your current machine
can't do. If the answer is "nothing" then don't bother to replace it.

Next, for what you describe just about any current model Dell will be
fine, as will any current model Gateway--I'd avoid HP and Compaq (same
company, different labels) as they tend to be quirky.

If service is your _major_ concern then get a Lenovo (which used to be
IBM) and pay for the on-site service--if you don't have a service
contract IBM service is kind of so-so, but if you _have_ a service
contract you get treated pretty much the same as if you had a
multi-million-dollar
mainframe. Not a _cheap_ alternative though.

Corinne

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate