Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] nospambob@vcoms.net is offline

Default Should I use Shellac?

Have read MANY times 6 month shelf life is typical for mixed. Just
mixed up small 2# cut using flakes bought from Jeff at
www.homesteadfinishing.com 5 years ago and it dries hard as fresh
would. Been stored in the refrigerator. Mixed with denatured in the
garage straight out of the fridge and it mixed up in less than 4
hours.

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 13:39:46 GMT, "Phil-in-MI" NO Spam &
pam wrote:

I agree, but add a word of caution:
Shellac does not age well. If you mix up a batch, mix only what you expect
to use, and discard unused. I am sure someone will be able to suggest shelf
life for a batch of shellac.

Cannot find the link, but I think even the shellac flakes have some sort of
shelf life, so you should purchase from a source that has high turn over of
stock.

Phil

"CW" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Patriarch" wrote in message
. 97.136...
Well, it looks good,

As do other finishes. Shellac doesn't stand out here.

it's forgiving of application errors,

I covered that in one word, easy.

repairable

Good thing as it's more likely than most film finishes to need it.

Other than THAT, it's nothing special. ;-)

Patriarch