Posted to uk.d-i-y
Eric The Viking Eric The Viking is offline

Default The nuclear deterrent.

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
oups.com...
Something I was studiously avoiding was the windmill thread however I
had to say something in response to this:

Only when you have a really STUNNING case on paper - as nuclear power was
in the 50's -

snip

But until nuclear power design, cost and management and everything else
is openly discussed, the only way to maintain good safety specs is that
everyone responsible for building them should be forced to live the
rest of their lives near them until the reactor is long closed -when
their kin will be responsible for their oversight until the waste
denatures to safe levels..

I can't see Tory BLiar pushing that one through under those
circumstances. But this is a democracy so who is going to stand for
that sort of protection?

It's worth remembering that in the 50s the future looked to be a nuclear
one. Everyone believed that nuclear energy would provide "free" energy for
all & would power our homes, cars, planes & ships. Nuclear technology at
that time was seen as a Panacea - a silver bullet to keep you safe and warm.

What self respecting super power could have afforded to pass that one by?

Maybe the best way to decide on what we should do now, will be to accurately
predict what will happen during the next 50 years.

--
ETV