Posted to alt.home.repair
Corinne Corinne is offline

Default Very OT - Computers

Dave,

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

By all the great replies, I know I need to take my time. I have my
homework cut out but you have definitely given me some good feedback.

Many thanks.

Corinne

wrote:

Corinne wrote:

Please don't blast me for asking this question here. I have posted here
before and received excellent advice, so I am back.

I am in the market for a new computer. I am interested in Dell. When
searching the Dell sites, I see lots of complaints about service, etc.

Do any of you use a Dell computer, and can anyone recommend a model
for someone who uses the computer basically for email, newsgroups,
searching the web, playing solitaire, and making greeting cards?

I am totally lost, and as you can see, I am not too computer savvy.
I just know the basics, and my computer man, in this small town,
just retired due to ill health.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Corinne

Corinne,
I've not had a problem that would be noticable to enough to not
recommend any PC that I've bought from a major vendor, with the
exception of what I have "heard" about Packard-Bell models (and I'm not
sure if they are even still in business). I've had Gateways, Dell's,
HP's, and IBM's in the past.

Your anticipated use description does not require a top-of-the-line
model, but sometimes those requirements change. As for waiting for
Vista, in my experience, it is rare that MS delivers on a shipping date
(currently into 2007 for Vista) and even more rare for a new version to
be worth the hassle (bugs, patches, etc.), especially for a new user.
Windows XP (the current version) should suffice for your use.

My advice:

- become familiar with basic terms and information. You do not need to
be an expert but should know some basics, like the difference between
RAM and a hard drive. Google "how to buy a computer" and read some of
the hits. If you have questions or would like something clarified,
post to this thread as a follow up.

- if you don't have a local resource to assist you (or relative, etc.),
call the major vendors (HP, Dell and Gateway...and check if they have
an "outlet" store nearby) and compare their offers so that you can
reduce your risk related to the next item...

- be wary of the "xxx model for $499" advertisements, as many times
they are underpowered and the components to add to make them decent are
overpriced by the vendor. By calling and talking to more than one
vendor, you can make a more educated assessment of what is included
and/or what upgrades would cost

- be wary of "shiny" throw-ins...that nice photo printer may not shine
as brightly when you find out the maintenance cost for special paper,
toner/ink, etc. I know several people who received "free" printers but
never used them once they saw that their "free" printer cost $30 each
time the toner ran out, or worse, dried before it was all used. If,
for example, photos are of interest, you can upload and then get them
sent to your door from snapfish or other vendors for $.10-.15 a print
or less. Some home printers can cost you $.50 or more for a print.

- more often than not, RAM (or "memory") is a good thing to upgrade on
those "$xxx models). In order of preference...do it yourself (or a
relative) after-the-purchase, have a local PC vendor do it for you (who
has a vested interest doing this for a reasonable price for future
business), or have the PC upgraded when you purchase.

- unless you are planning on significant software usage (hundreds of
music files, home video, etc.) the standard disk you will get will
probably suffice for what you described and can be upgraded in the
future for less than an immediate factory upgrade. 40GB would probably
suffice, 80GB would probably be the absolute highest you probably need
to go (depending on what they're trying to sell.

- remember that anything is negotiable. Many times, simply asking for
a better price is all that is necessary to get something knocked off,
or at least another freebie thrown in. If you are persistent, you can
increase your reward but it depends on how long you want to play the
game and what you're trying to get (shipping can be expensive and is
something that might be very good to have removed from the final
invoice).

If you have additional questions, post follow ups and take your time.
It can become very expensive, but there are people willing to help.

Dave