Posted to alt.home.repair
Corinne Corinne is offline

Default Very OT - Computers

Thank you so much for this helpful info. I have received lots of good
advice, but don't want to bore this group with thanking each one
individually, so later I will send one to everyone together. Great
group, but you asked a question so I will try to answer it.

My computer is eight years old, and I love it. My thinking is that I am
still using Windows 98, and Microsoft (as you know) is no longer
offering free updates.

Several people have told me that this opens me up to getting viruses,
and thus, passing it onto others, which I definitely do not want to do.

My first plan was to purchase Windows XP Home Edition and install it,
but a friend told me this machine is not capable of doing that. Plus,
he felt it was a waste of money to purchase Windows XP HE when I could
buy a new machine with it already installed.

So, I am in the market for a new computer.

From what I have written, do you still think it is smart for me to hold
off for another year or so.

Thanks again.

Corinne

______? wrote:
On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 01:11:09 -0700, Corinne broke out their crayolas and scribbled:

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 01:11:09 -0700, Corinne broke out their crayolas and
scribbled:

Please don't blast me for asking this question here. I have posted here
before and received excellent advice, so I am back.

I am in the market for a new computer. I am interested in Dell. When
searching the Dell sites, I see lots of complaints about service, etc.

If your concerns are service why not check with local stores and see what
they offer in ways of service. Then buy from the one that will be
available locally for service.

Do any of you use a Dell computer,

I built my box from component parts ordered off the net. I won't comment
on a Dell product because I've not used it.

and can anyone recommend a model for

someone who uses the computer basically for email, newsgroups, searching
the web, playing solitaire, and making greeting cards?

If the above is "all" that you're using it for why do you think you need
to update your old box? Are you running out of storage space or do you
think it is too slow? Just want something new and improved?

If it is the latter, I would think about holding off for a while because
Windows is threating to release a new system within the next year and what
you buy now will soon have a 3 or 4 year old operating system called XP
that is scheduled to be replaced. Not sure how long XP has been around.
Might as well wait for the next latest, greatest, Microsoft has to offer
if you are going to learn a new distribution of the operating system.
Besides the replacement for XP is going to need more power to operate than
XP from what I've read. So why buy something that will be outdated so
soon. Also from what I've read they are going to stop support for Windows
98 and ME shortly. Might want to wait a while and do more research.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/

I am totally lost, and as you can see, I am not too computer savvy. I
just know the basics, and my computer man, in this small town, just
retired due to ill health.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Corinne