Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default sash window refurb

aboleth wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:

Hellish job given that the rollers would probably have to be re-positioned.

Nobs. I hadn't thought of that. Might get away with it with a slot in
the wedge.

I think I'd start by putting a series of round headed screws in the
frame and adjusting them in and out till the upper sash is snug but
still moves freely.

Nice tip.

Packing the sides might throw the top out of line.
At least this way you'd know what size "wedges" you need.
Car body filler is good for this sort of thing

There's some fast setting wood filler I guess is pretty much the same.
The problem is how to get it to stick. I thought wood might be better
as it can't crumble or chip.

As Chris says, it's pretty tenacious and sticks to almost anything.
Gouging a few small grooves in the frame would help. Halfords are pretty
cheap for small amounts, or a car paint trade outlet for 3.5 kg size. No
point in buying it as a wood filler if you're going to paint over it.
It's all the same stuff basically.

If you have access to a sawbench, you could machine a strip of 50mm x
2mm wood and fill behind it to give you a flat surface. A couple of dabs
of filler would hold it in place to begin with. It goes off in 5 minutes
so you could even hold it in postion