Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Windmill nonsense.. Tilting at Wind mills

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 16:42:41 +0100 someone who may be Andy Hall
wrote this:-

I am not sure that it would. I am currently siting no more than a couple of
hundred metres from one of the largest wind turbines in the country. The
opinions of people here are are very polarised - they either love it or
detest it. I don't think that the pro/anti ratio has changed much since
before it was built, and those in favour want more built along side...

I find it difficult to imagine that the number of people liking them will
increase as more are built next to where they live.

You might like to consider Swaffham then.

http://www.glendell.co.uk/industry_env_page/1-030.html and
http://www.ecotricity.co.uk/projects/op_swaffhamII.html show the
first and second turbines. Readers should note that out of shot of
the photo of the second turbine is part of the town.

The SDC's excellent report on wind generated electricity has whole
sections on planning, landscape and so on.
http://www.sd-commission.org.uk/publications.php?id=234

Page 52 (paper page 46) is the start of a case study on Swaffham,
from which what follows is taken.

The first turbine generated three letters against, three for and one
saying it might be alright if it was the right colour. That was all.

One of the people not in favour of the turbine was the then Area
Planning Officer.

"The biggest objector to the erection of wind turbines in Norfolk
was me. I had never seen one other than in a photograph but I knew
that they were wrong for Norfolk. In meetings with Ecotricity I was
the one saying 'No'. However once the application had been submitted
and I became aware of the amount of pollution generated by fossil
fuels in the production of electricity I became convinced that
turbines were an option. I watched the erection of Swaffham 1 and
upon its completion I saw a graceful structure which contrary to my
earlier views did not detract from the historic character of the
town or the surrounding area. Subject to the assessments usual to
this type of application, I now support the use of wind energy in
Breckland for the production of electricity."

Greg Britton

Principal Planning Officer of Breckland District Council and former
Area Planning Officer

"The local community was generally enthusiastic. When Ecotricity
mailed 100,000 households in Breckland asking residents to say 'Yes'
or 'No' to more wind turbines as part of the public consultation on
plans for Swaffham 2, around 89% of the 9,000 respondents voted
'Yes'. Only 6.5% said 'No' and some 3.6% were either undecided or
left their vote blank. Greg Britton recalls that 26 letters were
sent to the planning department over Swaffham 2 – 23 of which
were support letters, including three from district councillors."

SDC text.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh