Posted to misc.consumers.house
Clark W. Griswold, Jr. Clark W. Griswold, Jr. is offline

Default dishonest Lender?

(Sharon) wrote:

I'm curious how you were able to do that? I always insist too, but am
always ignored or rebuffed. Do you tell them that the transaction will be
cancelled if you don't get the paperwork?
(Last year I closed on a house purchase where this happened. I simply
could NOT get them to give me the final true cash amount I needed to bring, in
order to complete the closing. They kept telling me to just bring a check for
the amount in the GFE. The settlement agent did a double-take when she saw
that our check was over $1,000 MORE than the final amount we needed to pay. We
were lucky it was that way and not $1000 under! Still, refund check in hand,
I was not amused.)

I just politely informed the closing agent that I wasn't going to spend two
hours reading documents in the title office and said that I knew they had to be
prepared ahead of time anyway, so please fax or email them to me. She wasn't
real happy, but when I repeated the request, she agreed.