Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon George E. Cawthon is offline

Default Very OT - Computers

Tony Hwang wrote:
Corinne wrote:
Please don't blast me for asking this question here. I have posted
here before and received excellent advice, so I am back.

I am in the market for a new computer. I am interested in Dell. When
searching the Dell sites, I see lots of complaints about service, etc.

Do any of you use a Dell computer, and can anyone recommend a model
for someone who uses the computer basically for email, newsgroups,
searching the web, playing solitaire, and making greeting cards?

I am totally lost, and as you can see, I am not too computer savvy.
I just know the basics, and my computer man, in this small town,
just retired due to ill health.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Corinne

Hi,
Whatever you get, make sure it is capable of running new OS Vista coming
out soon.

Not necessary, just more fog. They won't have the
bugs out of Vista for at least 2 more years. Then
she should need to buy all new programs to make
Vista of value to her. Besides, if she really
doesn't know anything about computers she won't
need Vista until she buys another computer.

You need as much memory as possible, 1G because
it is sometimes difficult (and expensive) to add
more memory. But hard drive size above 60-80 G is
useless for most people unless they are doing
video. (I have 120G and finally have about 13G
used after 4 years). Besides you can add a USB
drive for backups and more storage easily and
prices continue to drop.