Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] l.vanderloo@rogers.com is offline

Default making maple plywood from veneer, using plastic resin glue...blanks to turn step pulleys

Hi C etc.

High quality cast iron 4 step pulley, made by Maska 5,4,3,2" OD and 7/8
bore $47.10
Or you can get zinc cast lot of places have them they go for around
$15.--
Try Ebay or some place like MSC or McMaster

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum26.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Canchippy wrote:
dave wrote:
I want to turn a few (typical drill-press sized) v-belt step pulleys*,
and want to make the plywood it's turned from. I'm considering using
'garden variety' maple veneer and plastic resin glue, but I'm wide "open
for better ideas" and especially for ideas on where I might obtain such
material (already made) at very low cost?

Baltic birch is probably the way to go. Comes in 5' x5' sheets in
various thickness up to 1" and is available pretty much all over.

are wooden airplane propellers
made this way?

Yes and no. I've seen laminated and solid propellors and have carved
small ones myself when I did "oily toys" as a kid. The full size ones
are a work of art!

Now you got me thinking! I have been looking for replacement 4 step
pulleys for my old Delta and hadn't thought about turning them. But I
am not too sure plywood would be up to the job.

Does anyone have a source for 4 step pulleys to fit 7/8" shaft?