Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren Oren is offline

Default Very OT - Computers

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 01:11:09 -0700, Corinne
wrote:

Please don't blast me for asking this question here. I have posted here
before and received excellent advice, so I am back.

I am in the market for a new computer. I am interested in Dell. When
searching the Dell sites, I see lots of complaints about service, etc.

Do any of you use a Dell computer, and can anyone recommend a model
for someone who uses the computer basically for email, newsgroups,
searching the web, playing solitaire, and making greeting cards?

I am totally lost, and as you can see, I am not too computer savvy.
I just know the basics, and my computer man, in this small town,
just retired due to ill health.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Corinne

I think Dell are very good computers. We had about 70 desktops in our
local network and maybe as many as 10,000 running on a national
network level. I have seen maybe two that failed right out of the
box. Each a dead hard drive, so Dell sent overnight new drives without
having to send in the old beforehand. You will get good directions
for setting up the machine.

E-mail, browsing the web, and small programs are not that taxing on
the system. Video, Music and Photo editing is another thing. I suggest
a mid-range system, based on your comment.

Oren