Posted to alt.home.repair
Michael Daly Michael Daly is offline

Default Very OT - Computers

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
My
own experience with the local guy though, happens to be very good. The
experience with my first Gateway was very good, but the second one was very
poor. Dennis only uses reliable, proven components, not the cheapo part of
the week. I'm not going any place else. Just like the major suppliers,
the local guy can be good or bad. Check them out.

Unfortunately, the "local guy" is a mutt. You might find the best local guy on
the planet, but that does not translate into a useful source for someone in
another city.

Most "local guys" are fly-by-night operators. Some last more than a few years.
Dell and several others have been around for quite a while and have a
reputation based on a large volume of sales.

I would recommend the local guy I trust to a local buyer. For a buyer far away,
the best advice is to buy from the bigger companies if they can't do the
homework to find the ideal local guy.

I've had a Dell for quite a few years. Without question, it's been the most
reliable desktop computer I've used at home or work over the last 25 years.
Dell might be a tad more expensive than the local guy, but they are worth it.

Mike