Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] tlhumm@hotmail.com is offline

Default Waterproofing fence posts

Matthew Reed wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...

Matthew Reed wrote:
More on my fence building subject. I live in Oregon, Lebanon, near Salem.
Rains all year. Lots and lots of rain. I'm using pressure treated ground
contact rated 4x4x8' posts. I plan on setting them 2 feet deep in
concrete.
Would it be worthwhile to apply any additional waterproofing coating to
the
posts before setting them in concrete? What kind of life expentancy can I
expect from these posts set in concrete? Assuming I take reasonable care
taper the concrete, cap the top, and keep it painted. If they rot out in
5
years, I'll be stuck with rotted posts in concrete that will need to be
dug
up, and I'll have several dozen big chunks of concrete that I won't know
what to do with.

Just make sure you use enough gravel and keep the posts clean from
debri.
I put PT posts in my house near Portland 20 years ago and there is no
sign of rot at all,
except for one post near a fir tree that was always covered at the base
with pin needles and rotted out after about 15 years. If you install
them so they can dry out after getting wet, the'll last a lot longer
than 20 years.

20 years is pretty good! Did you set yours in concrete? Where near Portland?
I used to live in Vancouver before moving to Lebanon. Still working in
portland, on 82nd about a mile north of Glisan.

In Hillsboro. I did set them in concrete and sloped the concrete to
drain the water away.
The whole key is to keep the base of the post clear and use enough
gravel for drainage.
My neighbor put a fence up the same time as me and used Cedar, his
fence is still their, but he is noticing some rot just now. I wouldn't
worry about rot using PT lumber at all. Just install them right.