Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] wood_newbie@yahoo.com is offline

Default Should I use Shellac?

Ron Hock wrote:
If you're finishing a piece of work that you care about, caring for the
shellac should be no problem. If the above restrictions don't make it,
use something else. I liken it to the choice between high-carbon and
stainless-steel knives in the kitchen. Sure, sometimes the stainless
blade is more practical, and the high carbon requires a bit of care to
keep it from rusting, but I know which one makes a better knife and I'm
willing to exercise the care required.

Ron,

I'm with you...I love the beauty that shellac imparts. My only
complaint is the ease with which a shellac finish scratches. Is there
anything I can do on the front-end to minimize this tendency?

TIA