Posted to rec.woodworking
Ron Hock Ron Hock is offline

Default Should I use Shellac?

Freshly mixed shellac is remarkably durable and very water resistant. I
tested a piece of fir with a couple coats of 2# shellac by covering half
the piece with foil and leaving it outside for the month of February.
Rained most every day and after a month, the shellac showed no signs at
all of any damage. In fact the only change in the piece was the color of
the fir that darkened by being exposed to the light.

Things to avoid with shellac:
1. Old mixed shellac -- including what comes premixed in a can. Make
your own, use it and discard the rest after a few months. Okay, use the
old stuff for sealing knots before painting or something like that but
why risk it on a project you've invested so many hours in?

2. Alkaline cleaners and ammonia will attack shellac. Use them for brush
clean-up and the like but don't be scrubbing the fingerprints off your
French-polished guitar with them.

3. Tequila (and other distilled spirits) will soften shellac and if a
glass or bottle is left in a puddle thereof it will deboss a ring. So
clean up before you pass out.

4. Heat. DAMHIKT. Mug of steamy beverage will soften a ring. So keep an
eye out for classy coasters to use at the tea party.

Shellac is a natural, non-toxic resin that can be applied in such thin
coats that the nature of the wood glows through. No shrink-wrap-effect
with shellac. There really is nothing more attractive than a rubbed
finish of shellac. Nothing. Just say no to petrochemicals.

If you're finishing a piece of work that you care about, caring for the
shellac should be no problem. If the above restrictions don't make it,
use something else. I liken it to the choice between high-carbon and
stainless-steel knives in the kitchen. Sure, sometimes the stainless
blade is more practical, and the high carbon requires a bit of care to
keep it from rusting, but I know which one makes a better knife and I'm
willing to exercise the care required.

DIYGUY wrote:
I have an abiding love for shellac inherited from my mother who used it
extensively with the furnitures she refinished. It is sad that it is so
under appreciated in our polyurethane obsessed world. About the only
thing I would caution you with shellac is that it can be addictive to
use once you begin with it. As for how you plan to use it, if it is
going to be an indoor piece there is no reason to ever use another
finish over it with the possible exception of potential water damage as
in table tops. My advice is use shellac under clear lacquer for that
possible hazard. Remember to test your shellac on some scrap because
shellac is not colorless and comes in a variety of cuts and colors. If
you really want to know more about using it (and finishes in general)
buy this book: Amazon http://tinyurl.com/ot2oa Have fun and best of
luck ...

eclipsme wrote:

I have never used shellac. I have used lacquer, varnish, polyurethane
- both oil-based and water, danish oil, tung oil, mineral oil, but
never shellac.

I have read that shellac will bring out the grain and depth of woods
like cherry and walnut when used as a first coat. Is this true? What
is the procedure? Can I/should I do this with cherry cabinets? Can I
do it with water-based poly as the top coats? Is this a good idea?

Thanks,
Harvey

--
Ron Hock