Posted to rec.woodworking
Patriarch Patriarch is offline

Default Should I use Shellac?

"Phil-in-MI" NO Spam & pam wrote in
k.net:

I agree, but add a word of caution:
Shellac does not age well. If you mix up a batch, mix only what you
expect to use, and discard unused. I am sure someone will be able to
suggest shelf life for a batch of shellac.

Cannot find the link, but I think even the shellac flakes have some
sort of shelf life, so you should purchase from a source that has high
turn over of stock.

Phil

Well, if it has a 'life', I haven't hit it yet. Over the last 5 or 6
years, I've disposed of more oils, varnishes, dyes and stains that have
been 'past their prime' or otherwise unsuitable.

The shellac keeps on ticking. Gone through maybe 10 lbs of flake from
three or four different suppliers, without a problem. There's a couple of
pounds of Jeff Jewitt-supplied flake on the shelf, in a cool, dark place in
the shop now, waiting for the craftsperson.

Certainly stuff gets old. I know I have. ;-)

Patriarch