Posted to misc.consumers.house
Banty Banty is offline

Default Neighbors growing marijuana

In article , Cathy Kearns
says...

"Banty" wrote in message
Furthermore, I think this thing about the kids actually *harvesting and

using*
the pot is a red herring to begin with.

I only brought that up because the original poster stated that was her only
concern.
"So I am concerned that it is a little bit too easily available, should she
decide she wants to experiment."

OK, you're right on the concern that her daughters actually partake. I still
don't think that stealing is wrong covers the concern.

At any rate, where do I draw the lines on these things? Stealing of any

sort is
illegal and to be taught against, of course (else why would a red herring
regarding actually harvesting the stuff be brought up? It's to distract

us all
to say "hey, it's against any code to be stealing *anyway* so the MJ

plants next
door isn't an issue!" Phooey!)

If and when (mostly *if*) our democratic society decides pot is OK, then

I'll
think it OK for the neighbors to be growing pot. (And, no, I don't think

it's a
human rights issue or anything like that where'd I'd overrule my whole

fellow
citizenry).

In some areas of the USA the democratic society, via state initiatives, has
decided pot is OK for medicinal purposes. I don't know if the OP is in one
of those areas. Nor do I (or the OP) know if this older couple falls under
the medicinal marijuana umbrella. Certainly, if I saw pot in a neighbor's
yard in this area that would be the first thing that popped into my mind.

She hasn't told us that's the case. Being as a *minority* of states have done
that, I'd think she would have told us.

As to the line regarding whether or not to be calling the cops, frankly I

leave
that for egregious and impactful problems that don't have other solutions

(and I
think your 'call the cops or leave it totally alone is a false dilemma).

But I
don't have to foster and condone stuff either. I put the MJ growing in a

grey
area where I woudln't call the cops unless I needed to, but I would expect

the
neighbors have the decency not to put it under my nose. Having it in hte
backyard damn well risks that it be reported, they damn well know it, and

my
talking about it to them should be greeted with the knowledge that I am

*not* at
the moment turning them in.

If, reading between the lines the OP is annoyed that possible pot plants are
visible from her yard because it might be illegal then I agree, it would be
good to air that to the neighbors. I would also agree if you should find
yourself in this situation you should talk to the neighbors.

Thanks.

Banty