Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Very OT - Computers

Thomas Kendrick wrote:

Generally, desktop systems are less expensive than laptop systems, so
unless you need portability, get a desktop system. With the larger
desktop package, they are easier to cool and work on if components
must be replaced or added.

It is true that PC systems become non-current in just a few years, but
their useful life can be extended by careful choice:
- at least 1GB memory
- at least a 2 GHz processor
- at least 80 GB hard drive
- at least a CDRW/DVD combo drive
- wireless networking capability
- LCD display

Beyond that it's all software and easily replaced components. My
current system was built by a friend and runs Win98SE, however it is
enough system to upgrade to Win XP Home, which is what I intend to do
this summer.
Good luck.

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 01:11:09 -0700, Corinne
wrote:

Please don't blast me for asking this question here. I have posted here
before and received excellent advice, so I am back.

I am in the market for a new computer. I am interested in Dell. When
searching the Dell sites, I see lots of complaints about service, etc.

Hmmm,
Left out display controller. Important for upcoming Vista OS.