Posted to alt.home.repair
Kyle Kyle is offline

Default Do I need a permit/inspection for any electrical work?

TheNIGHTCRAWLER wrote:
peter wrote:
I heard if you do electrical work in your own home, you need to get a permit
or inspection, or else it is illegel and would void your HO insurance.

You heard wrong.
Electrical work is not rocket science,
despite what the collection of fools around here say.

That's OK, I failed out of rocket science my freshman year of college.
Of course, the University of Delaware called it "Honors Aerospace
Engineering".

You need to be more specific in your response, instead of vague and
insulting.

Point is, even a licensed electrician can get things wrong. The
licensed electrician who had done work on the house we bought (before
the previous owner's estate sold it) had reversed polarity in nearly
every room in the house. The electrician we had out to fix it created
another problem the inspectors caught.

So if you're replacing a light switch or outlet, be DAMNED sure you
know what you're doing, or call a licensed electrician. If you're doing
anything more complicated than that, call an electrician.

And if you're unsure, yeah, call your local municipality's code
enforcement office - simply Google the name of your municipality
(county, city, township, whatever) and "inspection" or "inspectors" and
you can find who to contact.