Posted to alt.home.repair
Avery Avery is offline

Default Very OT - Computers

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 01:11:09 -0700, Corinne
wrote:

Please don't blast me for asking this question here. I have posted here
before and received excellent advice, so I am back.

I am in the market for a new computer. I am interested in Dell. When
searching the Dell sites, I see lots of complaints about service, etc.

Do any of you use a Dell computer, and can anyone recommend a model
for someone who uses the computer basically for email, newsgroups,
searching the web, playing solitaire, and making greeting cards?

I am totally lost, and as you can see, I am not too computer savvy.
I just know the basics, and my computer man, in this small town,
just retired due to ill health.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Corinne

I don't think any of the "computer companies" actually produce their
own cpmputers. Dell build their stuff from components sourced from a
myriad of suppliers. Two Dell systems bought on the same day may have
hard drives or CDs or other compnonents sourced from different
suppliers in different parts of the world.

What are your options? HP, NEC, ASUS or a no name brand built bythe
guy down the road with bits he bought cheap from an importer. They are
all basically the same.

The important things to look for are warranty and longevity of the
supplier. At least Dell has been around a while and will probably be
around a while longer. That gives you some chance of getting any
problems fixed. The same goes for other brands like HP or IBM.

Most problems that you wil have will not be hardware, but problems
created by incompatibilities between the various pieces of software
you are running and the various bits of hardware in the box. None of
them faults as such , but all of them well cause you grief.

If your stated uses are the total of what you want to do, then you
really don't need anything too advanced . The basic CPU, memory , hard
drive and video options will easily accomplish your needs. Don't get
taken in by techos that want to sell you the biggest, fastest stuff.
You don't need it.

Go to a book store and invest in a few "how to" books. Any of the
"computer stuff for dummies" books for a start. Learn how to manage
your own system so that when something goes wrong , and it will, you
have some understanding of where the problem might lie.

Most of the problems that I fix every day are fixed with entries from
the keyboard, not with replacement of bits of hardware.

There is no easy answer Corinne.

I would like to offer my services to help you, but alas, I fear the
travel would be too expensive.