Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Very OT - Computers

Corinne wrote:

Please don't blast me for asking this question here. I have posted here
before and received excellent advice, so I am back.

I am in the market for a new computer. I am interested in Dell. When
searching the Dell sites, I see lots of complaints about service, etc.

Do any of you use a Dell computer, and can anyone recommend a model
for someone who uses the computer basically for email, newsgroups,
searching the web, playing solitaire, and making greeting cards?

I am totally lost, and as you can see, I am not too computer savvy.
I just know the basics, and my computer man, in this small town,
just retired due to ill health.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Corinne

I have a Dell - like any modern electrical/electronic, it isn't built to
last forever. I am the software guru, hubby is the hardware guru. I
wanted to add memory to mine, so I bought it and installed it myself.
Most difficult aspect was opening the case, as it is built a little
different than the instruction diagram. Dell has very detailed
instructions on their website and pretty decent online support chat. I
was spoiled when I got the Dell, as I had originally had a Micron that
ran Win95 a lot faster than the Dell runs Win ME. About like going from
Ferrari to VW )

Windows is getting more media oriented, for the movie and music
downloaders. I haven't kept track of what is coming along from MS. If
making greeting cards involves large images or a powerful program, you
might want to focus on a graphics card with more memory; way too tech
for me to keep track of, but Dell (or any other decent company) can
probably advise on that issue. Usually, their websites have models for
home or office or blah blah, and you can add features according to
intended use. Might want to play with a few of those.

Whatever you buy will be outmoded in about two years, if not sooner )