Posted to alt.home.repair

Default AC unit stops cooling but keeps running

Text inserted.

"CJT" wrote in message

I'm trying to get an idea of what is causing a problem with my AC

unit.
I'm in an apartment condo that has a central unit that heats and
cools. The problem is that when the AC kicks in, the unit cools

(the
coils get condensation on them and get cool). After a while, the

unit
no longer cools anymore but you can still hear the condenser

running.
If you turn the unit off, wait a while and then turn it back on the
same thing happens...it cools for a little while and then doesn't.

It
never satisfies the thermostat so it doesn't stop unless I turn the
temp up and then you can hear the condenser stop.

The unit is about 10 - 15 years old, has been cleaned and has a new
filter. Any idea whether I'm looking at a coolant leak, a condenser
problem or something else here?

Thanks,
Mark

My guess is the compressor is overheating and thermal protection is
turning it off. When it cools, the protector resets.
CY: That sounds reasonable.

Lubrication might help (although most are permanently lubricated
nowadays),
CY: The compressors are typically lubricated with oil mixed in with
the freon. However, the fan motor often has oil ports. Also, a dirty
or dusty condnsor can cause compressor overheating.

as might clearing anything blocking air flow around the
compressor (e.g. debris and vegetation).
CY: Excellent. Or anything over the top of the unit, such as deck,
awning, roof, etc.

I would also check that
the voltage at the compressor is correct -- too low or too high can
cause overheating. And you might also try replacing the run capacitor
if it has one, especially given its age. Beyond that, it's probably a
forklift job (i.e. replacement).
CY: I can think of a few things that can be a problem -- and
repairable. So, it's time to call a HVAC service company out. May very
possibly be fixable.