Posted to alt.home.repair
GINO GINO is offline

Default burned water heater element

I replaced a top element on an electric water heater ( double element) at
the cottage. We use lake water that is pumped up to a holding barrel above
the heater then feeds the heater. After replacing the element it took quite
a long time ti get water to run through the system to the tap, air pockets I
guess. The new element burned after a short while , it may have been due to
the air pockets and not much water in the top part of the tank.

Question: this heater has a thermostat for top and bottom element, should it
not turn off the element if it gets to hot , either if water is present or
not?