Posted to rec.woodworking

Default ipe + messmers deck

wrote in message
oups.com...
I built a ipe deck and rolled on messmers UV for hardwoods. It's about
2 weeks later now, and it LOOKS great, but it seems to scratch VERY
easily. If I drag a 5 lb deck chair across it, it appears to be
scraping the messmers finish off. Do I need to apply something else
over Messmers? Or does it take longer than a couple weeks to dry? Im
upset my brand new perfect deck is starting to look like crap, I have
to go do all this touchup work now.. Any comments/suggestions?

I'm not familiar with Messmers, but have used other similar stains. It
soaks into the surface a bit to protect the wood from water and UV. It is
still possible to scratch through it dragging a chair. Maybe you need
better glides on the chairs too.