Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Auger Bit Sizes

John Gonser wrote:
I found that several of the auger bits (Jennings pattern) that I recently
purchased are not accurately sized. Anybody know what the size tolerance
should be for the diameter at the spur and of the auger itself?

No, I don't know but I do know there are ANSI and ISO standards for
twist drills and I presume there would be for other varieties as well.
I'd start looking in those directions if it is really that significant.
Of course, what a Standard says is of no benefit if the manufacturer
isn't following it...

Just out of curiousity, what's the application that requires such
precision and what kind of measurements are you getting?