Robert Kennett Robert Kennett is offline
Junior Member

Fred-

Your concern about LED's flickering:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Mann
Hello,
I have a piece of audio gear which has an illuminated power switch. The LED
inside flickers. Should I replace the LED, or is something else at play
here? I was under the impression (for no good reason) that LEDs are like
light bulbs - either they work or they don't -- no flickering.
Thanks!!
Fred
Is valid. LEDs do not flicker unless the applied voltage varies. They can be used to transmit information via light to another device at high frequency, or can remain on steadily without any variation in intensity for years.

Check the applied voltage with a meter, and check the connections. LED's are Solid State devices (Light Emitting Diode). I have never come across an intermittent one. They will fail open or shorted if subjected to conditions outside of normal, such as high temperature and voltage spikes. It's possibly a problem with the switch innards.

It's possible that you have a neon pilot light in that switch? They will flicker at end of useful life.

RKic