Posted to alt.home.repair
Keith Williams Keith Williams is offline

Default Bolt Thread Size (Damn Metric ****)

In article ,
says...

Pluralization of both with the 's' is correct.

Pluralization of both with the 's' is common.
I suppose whether it's correct depends on
whether there's any meaning for 'correct' beyond
'a lot of people do it that way'.

Cite?

Don't have a cite for fathom, it's just that I grew
up actually using the term, (and selling clams by the
peck and bushel, too) and none of them were ever
pluralized. Now that I think about, I'd have to say
that they were used more like adjectives than
nouns. Like "dozen". You can have dozens of
doghnuts, or you can have three dozen doghnuts.

You can also have three bushels of corn. Or three pecks of peas.

I also multiplied by hours/day twice translating
furlongs per fortnight... and got a result 24 time
too big.

That happens, though I'd more likely slip a 60 or two in there. ;-)

Who was it who said "if at first you don't succeed,
try, try again. Then give up, there's no sense in
being a damn fool about it"?

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.

--
Keith