Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] mowgus@hotmail.com is offline

Default AC unit stops cooling but keeps running

I'm trying to get an idea of what is causing a problem with my AC unit.
I'm in an apartment condo that has a central unit that heats and
cools. The problem is that when the AC kicks in, the unit cools (the
coils get condensation on them and get cool). After a while, the unit
no longer cools anymore but you can still hear the condenser running.
If you turn the unit off, wait a while and then turn it back on the
same thing happens...it cools for a little while and then doesn't. It
never satisfies the thermostat so it doesn't stop unless I turn the
temp up and then you can hear the condenser stop.

The unit is about 10 - 15 years old, has been cleaned and has a new
filter. Any idea whether I'm looking at a coolant leak, a condenser
problem or something else here?

Thanks,
Mark