Posted to alt.home.repair
Keith Williams Keith Williams is offline

Default Removal and replacement of tub drain

In article .com,
says...

Keith Williams wrote:
In article .com,
says...
I removed my old tub drain, and replaced it with a new one, could I
have over tightened the new one to the point that I now have a leek?

My master bath tub has a stopper that won't stay open (hence my
interest in this thread). My guess is that mine is a twist type
drain plug and someone along the line had some spare parts. I'm
thinking about replacing the overflow and drain now since I have
the ceiling in the bedroom below open (chasing a leak, not yet
found). Anyway, reading this thread I was wondering how it all
goes together or more importantly, comes apart. Searching the net
I found this that may be of interest (leaking gasket):

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/p...drain2/replace.
htm

It seems it is possible to overtightened the gasket, squeezing it
out.

--
Keith

KEith, I have a leek as well, and I am being told it is going to
cost$550. to fix it and I will have a 36inch hole in my ceiling under
the tub, it is up stairs over my den. I think the 36 inch holes is bull
and I also think I am getting ripped off on the price. I am a painter
and handyman and can fix the hole but think a 24 inch at most will
work.

My leak isn't in the drain. It's coming from somewhere above the
rim of the tub. I can see it dripping off the tub edge, under the
mixing valve. I can't tell if it's a grout/calk failure or a leak
after the mixing valve/diverter. In any case the sheetrock was wet
and had to come out. I tore it out spanning two joists (32") and
about square to make sure I got all the bad sheetrock out.

I'm thinking about replacing the drain/overflow while I'm in there
because the stopper won't stay open. I've owned the house for 13
years and we've used up a few paint stirrers in the mean time. ;-)

I had to cut a couple of holes in the ceiling in the bathroom
across the hall, so I'll have some fun patching holes. If I had
half a brain I'd gut the whole bathroom and the bedroom ceiling and
pay someone to do the mud.

--
Keith