Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim Speedy Jim is offline

Default backflow preventer?

peter wrote:
Someone mentioned it's a good idea to install a backflow preventer on the
house sewage line.

I searched google for such product and found a few different ones of
different shapes and prices, some are called backwater preventer, some
called flood guard. I still have no idea which is the correct type.

Could someone point me to the correct type to use for a family house? I have
access to the sewage drain pipe (4-inch black plastic pipe) in the
crawlspace and would like to install myself if it's just a matter of cutting
the pipe and inserting the device.

It can be confusing.
A backflow preventer is used on a potable water service (city supply).

A back WATER valve is the one used on a sewer lateral to prevent
the city sewer from backing up into a house.

If you have access to the Main drain, you have it made!
The latest PVC and ABS Backwater valves are slick indeed.
See:
http://www.superiorspecialty.com/Mai...rmoplastic.htm
http://www.dafehr.com/Canplas/cisbwvalve.htm
http://www.websitement-tm.com/z_webs...ter-Valves.htm

Not needed in your crawl space, but this design features an
extension to the ground surface, where the Main drain is buried,
which allows the flapper to be pulled up for cleaning/repair/inspection
without doing any digging!
http://www.cleancheck.com/about.htm

Jim