Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default Service entrance through gutters

On 12 Jul 2006 06:46:11 -0700, wrote:

Well you could remove about 4" of gutter and cap each end providing
each run has a downspout, then you would use some cedar shingles to
make a ridge under the roofingto direct the water left and right into
the remaining gutters.
Still I think this is an inelegant solution.
Ed wrote:
I am replacing the service entrance on my house, and the electric
company says it need to be above my roof. The problem is that the
house does not have overhanging eves (the roof ends right at the
outside wall, and there is a gutter there).

How can I get the pipe for the service entrance through the gutter.
The way I see it, I can do one of 3 things.
1) either have the pipe bent, or shim out the meter and pipe about 4
inch from the wall.
2) bend the pipe so it goes inside the wall
3) cut the gutter, lift it so it drains away from the pipe, and put in
flashing (but there will still be a gap in the gutter.

None of these sound like great ideas. Does anyone have any better
ideas or can you tell me if it is possible to havea 2 in steel pipe
bent to go out 4 more inched; and if there are brackets that will hold
the pipe 6-8 inches away from the wall.

If the conduit for the service entrance is above the roof,
what do they attach the strain-relief/carrier and drip-loop to?
In any case, you should be able to either buy pre-bent
sections of heavy conduit, or have the pipe bent.